It is true, what other parents in MI programs have said, that the 4th-5th grade period is tricky. Cute bunnies are on their way out, but Chinese language reading ability is lagging... and increasingly lagging behind the English that races ahead like a jack rabbit.
I see glimmers of the pre-teen brain that does not want to cooperate with the enticements I've learned in prior years.
So I'm trying this one - 哲学鸟飞罗系列 "Philosophy Bird Series"
Meanwhile, Book 5 in the Jinan University ZhongWen series just took a massive jump in vocabulary style with the lesson on China's first manned satellite. Then it eased up with the next story about weighing an elephant.
And still, my child enjoys the tales of the mischievous "Xiao Pi" - a great series, but hard to find from American dealers (someone, please stock it). But you can find it on DangDang.com. Not the translation of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but the Chinese one "小屁孩子日记." You can find his years in Kindergarten at some of the American dealers, but the series continues up through 6th grade. My 4th grader is reveling in his escapades at 2nd grade. I hope she'll continue to find him interesting when both of them are a little older.
I know that once high school starts, the content expectation will become a lot more focused on history, geography, science, and everyday public affairs stuff. But to get there, her brain needs a foundation of solid storytelling and conversation.
No comments:
Post a Comment